Book Talk

3089/p797739566_6607.jpg

Got a book you just couldn't put down? Wish there were a way you could tell others about it? Do you just feel like talking about books? Then sign our guestbook and join our on-line Book Talk!

It certainly does not feel like Summer Vacation should begin tomorrow, but it does! While you are sleeping in, I will still be getting up early and getting things set right in the library for next year, but I will soon join your ranks! I've got my lists and stacks of books ready to read!! I just hope I find enough time to get to all of them! As I finish a book, I'll tell you all about it here, so stay tuned! If you need some suggestions, check out the Summer Reading List on the main Media Center webpage. Stay Tuned and Happy Reading!
So, you've been free for a week! And it hasn't rained every day of vacation! I haven't really started my vacation yet, so the voluminous amounts of reading I am looking forward to haven't happened yet, but I still have books to tell you about! Gunpowder Girls by Tanya Anderson was fabulous, in a tragic way. I didn't know that during the Civil War, the bullets that Americans were shooting at each other, were not just made in the United States, but they were mostly made by young women, both in the North and the South. Factories in the 1800s were a far cry from today. Safety regulations were virtually non-existent. So young women, with very little training, were working with gunpowder, trying to turn out as many bullets as they could as fast as they could, and the inevitable happened-- gunpowder caught fire and explosions happened.Great read about an event I had never heard of! Happy Reading!
Well.. again, Helen Frost does not disappoint! A former middle school student would describe this one as "adorable." And I agree with her. When My Sister Started Kissing is a great summer read of family, loss, summer, change, and learning to love yourself. As they have their entire lives, sisters Claire and Abigail are headed to their family's lake cottage for a month of fun and togetherness, but this year their new stepmom, who is soon expecting, is joining them. And Abigail suddenly wants to be called Abi and talks about kissing. Claire isn't sure where all of this leaves her.

As usual, pay attention to form. Helen works extra poems into the the ends of long lines and the first letters of certain lines. Up next, I Will Always Write Back! Happy Reading!
Looking for a message of hope? Looking for a true story of 1 person making a difference, a real difference, a teenager even? Then you need to try this little gem that I found hiding in our shelves in the 800s-- yes there is more than poetry in the 800s. I discovered this little book in a Scholastic flyer sometime this year. The title is I Will Always Write Back. It is the story of an American teen from Pennsylvania and an African teen from Zimbabwe who became pen pals in the 7th grade. Neither one had any idea how much of an impact they would have on each other's lives.
Freedom Over Me. An interesting read. I like the story behind the story. The author, Ashley Bryan, found an old appraisal from the 1800s. An appraisal is a list of items for sale and what they are worth. On this list, mixed in with cattle, hogs, and cotton, were people- slaves. The author started thinking that these were more than just names on a piece of paper; they were people. Who were they? What were their stories? And Freedom Over Me is what she came up with! Did I mention it is written in poem format? Happy Reading!
I loved this book!!! It is Women in Science by Rachel Ignotofsky. It tell about 50 women who made amazing discoveries and contributions to biology, chemistry, astronomy, physics, math, and technology. It was beautiful to read because the left hand page was a drawing of the person, but all around her were 3 to 5 one sentence comments about what she did. Then the right hand page was a three to five paragraph description with more details. I think my favorite was Grace Hopper. She was a Navy Admiral, who retired right before her 80th birthday, and she made some amazing contributions to computer languages and computer programming. She was spunky! So if you want to be inspired to dream big and dare to make a difference, this is the book for you! Happy Reading!
"You haven't lived until you've loved a cow." I love this line! And it can be found in the Verse Novel Home of the Brave by Katherine Applegate! Kek is an African refugee who finds himself with his aunt and cousin in Minnesota. He knows his father and brother are gone to violence back home, but his mom, he wants to know what happened to his mom. In the meantime, he is struggling to adjust to life in the United States. He's never seen snow before. His English needs work. He misses his cows. So when he finds a job helping a cranky, old lady with her cow, and he even gets paid for it, he begins to find hope. I cannot imagine leaving behind every thing I know, including my family, and trying to start again in a whole new county with a different culture, different food, different weather, and a different language. Happy Reading!
What if you had been a child in Hiroshima or Nagasaki when the atomic bombs dropped? What would it have done to your home? What would it have done to your family? Would you have survived?
This is the story of Sachiko by Caren Stelson. Sachiko was just a little girl, having an ordinary morning, looking forward to the start of school, when her life was changed forever. Much of her family survived the initial blast, but there were the after effects of being exposed to so much radiation. She could have easily been filled with hate, but she chose hope. Read her story to find out how and who inspired her! Happy Reading!