Book Talk

3089/p797739566_6607.jpg

Got a book you just couldn't put down? Wish there were a way you could tell others about it? Do you just feel like talking about books? Then sign our guestbook and join our on-line Book Talk!

I cannot believe it is time for Summer Vacation already; although, I am ready to sleep in a little in the mornings! I hope to get somewhere between 20 to 30 books read this summer. As I do, I'll tell you a little about them! I hope you are reading plans for the summer too. If you need some suggestions, don't forget the Summer Reading list on the library's main page! Happy Reading!
Hippies, Vietnam, Civil Right struggles, and hidden pirate treasure. You'll find it all in Kaleidoscope Eyes by Jen Bryant. A Verse Novel, this is the story of Lyza. Her mom simply left one day and never came back. So Lyza, her sister, and her dad have tried to fill in the holes. But just as summer is beginning, her beloved, adventure loving Grandpa passes away. While cleaning out his house, Lyza finds an envelope addressed to her. Inside she finds maps and stories of Captain Kidd and buried treasure. With the help of her two best friends-- one whose brother was just shipped to Vietnam-- Lyza will go on an amazing summer adventure. Happy Reading!
Well... it's raining outside this morning, which makes it a perfect morning to stay inside and curl up with a book! If you picked up one of our Summer Reading Lists, or if you've been accessing it on-line, let me tell you a little about one of the titles, Not A Drop to Drink. If you're a fan of dystopian fiction, this is an excellent choice for you. This book disturbed me. I still don't know if I "like" it or not, but it certainly made me think. You see, in Lynn's world, water is more valuable than money. Water has become scarce. Most people live in cities where water is strictly controlled. Lynn and her mom are some of the few who have held on to their independence, which also means life is consumed, every day, with survival. And most days Lynn and her mom find themselves on the roof of their house, guns in hand, protecting their water source, a pond. Then something happens and Lynn finds herself alone. Will she make it by herself, or will she learn that their are good people too? Happy Reading!
Calling all WW 2 fans! Another title off of our Summer Reading List. Ghosts In the Fog is an excellent read about a little known story of WW 2. Pearl Harbor was not the ONLY place where the Japanese struck on American soil. There is the little known story of the Aleutian Islands off the coast of Alaska. The U.S. government feared Japan would set their sites on Aleutia; they tried to remove the natives from their islands before the enemy arrived, but in many ways, we were too late. Very much hampered by the weather-- the cold, the fog-- it was a struggle to accomplish anything, and the islands were never the same after both the American and the Japanese occupation. When you finish this one, you really need to follow it up with Aleutian Sparrow by Karen Hesse. Happy Reading!
American Ace and You Can Fly are two Verse Novels that tie together nicely! You Can Fly is a look at the Tuskegee Airman. During World War II, pilots were needed; however, Civil Rights was just beginning. With a little help from Eleanor Roosevelt, African American universities did begin to train African Americans to fly! A quick look at a turning point in history.

American Ace takes the story of the Tuskegee Airman and makes it more personal, more immediate. It is the story of a teen boy who discovers that his Grandpa was not his biological grandfather. His true biological grandfather may have indeed been African American, and just may have ties to the Tuskegee Airman! Happy Reading!!
You've got to love a book that includes a line like this,
"But you will have lived
just half a life
if you never love a cow."

That is one of the jewels you will discover in the verse novel Home of the Brave by Katherine Applegate. This is the story of Kek, a boy who flees Africa and finds himself in Minnesota. He has never seen snow. He has no idea what a washing machine is. He knows very little English. But he does know the love of a cow. Back in his home country, that was how wealth was measured. How big was your herd? In his home country, that is how he knew the change of the seasons. To which pastures were they guiding the herd. In his home country, he had a father, a brother, and a mother. Now he just has his aunt and a cousin. But he holds on to the hope that his mother will be found, and he finds that hope in a homely, lonely cow named Gol.