Book Talk

2478/p885640939_3168.jpg

Got a book you just couldn't put down? Wish there were a way you could tell others about it? Do you just feel like talking about books? Then sign our guestbook and join our on-line Book Talk!

I cannot believe it is time for Summer Vacation already; although, I am ready to sleep in a little in the mornings! I hope to get somewhere between 20 to 30 books read this summer. As I do, I'll tell you a little about them! I hope you are reading plans for the summer too. If you need some suggestions, don't forget the Summer Reading list on the library's main page! Happy Reading!
So I just finished The Heart of Betrayal by Mary Peterson, the sequel to The Kiss of Deception, which will be a 2016-17 Rosie. Just like Chase Earlywine told me, Oh My Goodness! I have to wait until August 2 for book 3 to come out?

I am so glad I read these on my Kindle; otherwise, I would be intimidated by their size. But oh is the story good. Romance, action, suspense. In Book 2, Lia and Rafe are trapped in Venda. All they want to do is get home, but first they have to stay alive. Then there is Kaden, in love with Lia, but... In a world of violence and barbarians, who do they trust? Will help reach them in time. Then, oh, that ending... Happy Reading!
Well... it's raining this morning, so I can't be outside playing in the flowers. Gosh, that makes it a perfect morning to stay inside and read! I am working on a non-fiction book about the Vietnam War, Most Dangerous. I'll tell you all about it when I finish.
In the mean time, if you picked up one of the Summer Reading Lists, or if you've been checking it out on-line, here's one of my favorites off that list, Death Coming Up the Hill. This is a verse novel, but even at that its structure is even more unusual. The whole novel is written in haiku-- 5 syllables, 7 syllables, 5 syllables. Someone asked me if that made it tedious to read. I didn't find it that way at all. There was something soothing about the structure, especially when the plot was anything but soothing.
War may be raging in Vietnam, but that's not the only place. War is raging at home for seventeen-year-old Ashe. His father is strict and a bit of a racist. His mother is free-flowing and a bit of a Hippies. They married because Ashe was on his way. They've stayed together because of Ashe. But when a new crisis hits their marriage, it may rip Ashe's family, and his future, to shreds. Happy Reading!
So I just finished Most Dangerous. It is the story of Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers. If you are Vietnam aficionado, I highly recommend this book. It goes into great detail of how Daniel started out working for the government, looking for a plan for Vietnam, to becoming an outspoken opponent of the war, even to the point of releasing Top Secret government documents.

Steve Sheinkin is one of my favorite non-fiction authors, and as usual, he delivers an excellent story. I simply feel like I needed more background knowledge about the Vietnam War. I was hoping I would get that from this read, and I did to a point, but that was not the purpose of the book.

If I had to chose a Steve Sheinkin, I would go with Port Chicago 50 over Most Dangerous, but then, I have more background knowledge of WW 2 than I do of Vietnam. Happy Reading!
I am on a Non-Fiction kick right now. My latest completed read is Spare Parts by Joshua Davis. This was a fascinating read about a group of 4 teenagers in Arizona, 3 of which were in our country illegally, who won a national robotics team, even beating out MIT! Among other things, this book really made the issue of illegal aliens personal. I am now more sympathetic to plight of teens who were brought to the US by their parents as young children. This is all they have ever known. If there were to go back to Mexico, it would be a completely foreign experience for them.

Beyond that, I loved the story of the underdogs. These four had no formal training in robotics, engineering, or computer science. Their budget was easily 10% that of most of the other teams, yet they had a dream, worked hard, and won! Where other teams had precision cut metal, these students went to Home Depot and purchased PCP pipe that they cut themselves. It was fascinating. It reminds me of Electric Dreams; another book about an unlikely group of students who won a national science competition, for building an electric car. I would have to say, however, that Spare Parts was a bit more readable! Hope you are finding some great reads this summer! Happy Reading!
Wow! Calling all girls who are glad that they can play sports! It has not always been so. I just finished Meeting Her Match by Debbie Millbern Powers. Wow! Her entire life, Debbie just loved playing sports, especially basketball, but before 1972 and the passage of something called Title 9, organized teams for girls were simply not an option. So Debbie played with the boys, but only unofficially. Then she went to college, and she discovered a girl's team, but they were barely supported by the university, Indiana University to be exact. You see, this is an Indiana story, and because of Debbie's efforts and those of many other women in the 1960s and 70s, you have so many more options today. This was a fascinating story! Happy Reading!!